Thursday, October 12, 2017

Zach Solow Q&A

Zach Solow

11-06-1998

Northeastern

Naples, Fl







I was fortunate enough to talk with Northeastern freshman forward Zach Solow recently, one of the top 2016-17 freshman recruits in the country. Solow helped lead the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL to the Clark Cup Finals in 2015-16 and to the Eastern Conference final in 2016-17. A top player in the USHL last season, Zach finished with the most assists and points in the league helping him earn the 2016-17 USHL Forward of the Year Award and was also a member of the USHL First All-Star Team. He also won the Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year award, presented to the most outstanding American-born player in Junior hockey who also is rostered on a U.S. based Junior team.

Q: Do you think coming from a non-traditional market benefited your game or was a disadvantage?

A: I think coming from Florida had advantages because you're never fighting for ice time, its always accessible.

Q: Do you prefer the sunny Florida beaches, or the cold Midwest winters?

A: I prefer warm weather, the cold weather is tough to battle through!

Q: You left Florida at a young age, what landed you in St. Louis?

A: I went to St. Louis because I thought it was best for me. My other teammates who left, went to Michigan but I wanted to go to a consistent team that has proven themselves for years.

Q: Before playing at Dubuque you played for Janesville in the NAHL, do you feel the competition was tough to adjust too?

A: Playing in Janesville with those guys for a year and a half was the best thing for my development. They taught me the full game and how to carry myself as a person. The on ice play was a bit faster but adjustable to after some time.

Q: You nearly tripled your points last year from the prior season, what helped you step your game up?

A: The turning point for me was my summer after the first year in Dubuque. I went home and trained with some elite guys and they pushed me to be a better player.

Q: Who is your favorite NHL team?

A: Boston Bruins

Q: Who is your favorite NHL player?

A: Claude Giroux



Zach and the Northeastern Huskies started off the season ranked 20th by USCHO, but quickly made the jump to 14 having swept and pounced on Sacred Heart last weekend putting up 14 goals in just 2 games. Solow is currently tied for 1st place in the country for total points with 6. He hopes to help lead the team back to the NCAA Tournament this season in an always tough Hockey East conference that is known for packing on teams into the NCAA Tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment