Friday, November 3, 2017

Trevor Peca Q&A

Trevor Peca

15-04-2000

Buffalo Jr. Sabres

Miami (OH) commit

Clarence, NY


      We had the pleasure of speaking with Trevor Peca of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) who just recently committed to Miami of Ohio. Trevor is the son of former longtime NHL forward Michael Peca who spent 14 seasons in the league, helping to the lead the Buffalo Sabres to the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals, ultimately loosing in game 6 on an overtime goal that is still one of the most controversial to this day. Trevor had previously been playing for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres U16 team of the Tier 1 Elite Hockey League, tallying 33 points in 60 games in a span of 2 seasons.


Q: Who is your Favorite NHL Team?

A: Los Angeles Kings

Q: Who is your favorite NHL player?

A: Steven Stamkos

Q: Is their a player you try to model your game after?

A: Brandon Saad

Q: Do you have a favorite past time Miami RedHawk alumni?

A: Alec Martinez

Q: Would you call yourself a playmaker, sniper, or a two-way forward?

A: A two-way forward because I pride myself on playing strong on all 200 feet of the ice.

Q: You had originally been committed to the University of Maine, what made you feel Miami (OH) was a better fit for you? 

A: Jay Leach was the main reason why I committed to Maine in the first place. Him being there made me overlook the academic side of things. Since he retired, I thought about exploring some schools with better academics, especially one with a strong business school. After I de-committed, I reached out to some schools and Miami was one of them. After I visited Miami, I fell in love with the campus and I also appreciated how much the coaches valued me as a player. The farmer school of business is also off the charts, so overall it was an easy decision to make once I de-committed from Maine and began to look at other schools.

Q: What were some of the other schools you had looked into committing to?

A: I had looked into Princeton and Cornell.

Q: How does it feel to wear the same team colors your dad did nearly 20 years ago?

A: It's pretty cool to wear the same colors my dad did years ago, I hope to one day wear an NHL jersey as he did.

Q: What has been your favorite memory with the Jr. Sabres?

A: My favorite memory as a Jr. Sabre was winning the NYS Championship my 14U year.

Q: This year will be your first complete season in the OJHL, how did you prepare yourself in the offseason?

A: As this is the first complete year in the OJHL, I prepared extensively in the summer. I lifted 4 days a week with also going up to skate with Dawn Braid on continuing to improve my skating. I also worked on my skills with Matt Ellis of the Academy of Hockey at Harbor Center.

Q: What do you feel the coaching staff in Buffalo has helped you improve most in your game?

A: This is the first year I haven't had my dad as a coach. He has taught me almost everything that I know about hockey. He also had the biggest impact on my hockey career so far. This year, coach Tuzzolino has done a great job helping me realize my game at junior level and helping me better that with a great role on the PK along with extensive development in practices and games.

Q: Your dad was a longtime success in the NHL, what has he taught you from his game that you feel has helped improve your game?

A: My dad has taught me many things. The biggest have been him stressing the importance of habit and preparation. Both have been vital for me over the past couple of years.

Q: You were also drafted in the USHL Futures Draft by Lincoln, what made you choose the OJHL route?

A: The Lincoln Stars was originally my plan for this year. I did not end up making the team after the tryout camp held in June. I then decided to stay at home in Buffalo and play in the OJHL while graduating from Canisius High School this upcoming May. Not making the Stars has motivated me to become a better player and work even harder in order to play in the USHL next year before going to Miami the following year.

Q: You were also a 6th round selection in the OHL Priority Selection which is also the route your father took, what was it that made you want to commit to the college route?

A: Both of my parents stress the importance of education. At the end of the day, hockey will end for me someday as it will for everyone who plays the game. I want to be prepared for that the best I can, whenever it is. Because of that, the college hockey route appeals to me and more specifically with Miami, because I feel it's the best of both worlds for me.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals?

A: I have no specific pre game ritual because I have never been superstitious. I always make sure to get a good warmup though before my game and listen to my hypnotherapy before getting my equipment on.

Q: What is your go to meal on game day?

A: My go to meal is definitely Chicken Parm.

Q: Who is your favorite band?

A: Blink-182

Q: Mountain Dew or Pepsi?

A: I prefer Pepsi over Mountain Dew

Q: Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza?

A: I'd rather have Pepperoni Pizza than Cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment