Thursday, December 14, 2017

Carter Randklev Q&A

Carter Randklev

05-11-1999

Moorhead High School

North Dakota commit

Moorhead, Minnesota


     I have had the privilege of speaking with recent North Dakota commit Carter Randklev the past couple of months getting to know the Moorhead star a little bit. The speedy forward can blow past you or maybe he will mesmerize you with his stick handling which is exactly what landed him on SportCenters top 10 highlights recently. This past fall he played with the Fargo Force of the USHL before the start of the 2017-18 high school season and tallied 7 points in the 7 games he played, I was fortunate enough to be at the game he scored twice in the same shift. He expects to play there for a full season next year after he graduates to prepare himself for the next level. Randklev has the potential to not only be a Mr. Hockey finalist this season, but to be a state champion as well with a Moorhead team who lost last season in the championship game to Grand Rapids.




Q: Who is your favorite past or current North Dakota alumni?

A: I really enjoyed watching T.J. Oshie even though I was really young, but more recently I really loved to watch Drake Caggiula.

Q: Who is your favorite NHL team?

A: I've always loved the Blackhawks, but i really love to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs. Marner, Nylander, and Matthews.

Q: What has been your favorite memory playing in the Moorhead hockey organization?

A: Obviously last years state tournament was one of my top, but my second year bantams was an amazing time as well.

Q: How was your experience this fall with the Fargo Force?

A: My experience was incredible, being able to play with such an elite competition really made me a better player. Playing for Coach Eades was truly something special. I took as much away from what he taught me as I could before the high school season started.

Q: Do you have a favorite player you try to model your game after?

A: My two favorite players are Patrick Kane and Pavel Datsyuk before he retired.

Q: What was your favorite part of touring the University of North Dakota?

A: My favorite part was just being in the environment for the day and experiencing what they have to offer being around the coaches and players was absolutely amazing. The facilities are still breath taking every time I see them.

Q: People say that you are undersized for a hockey player, how do you use it to your advantage?

A: I know I am an undersized player, so I try to work on my speed, shot, and hands as much as I can to try to help with the lack of size in my game. Theres not much you can do about your height, so those other skills can help make up for my size.

Q: Your team suffered a devastating loss last season to Grand Rapids in the state championship game, what did you do in the off-season to prepare yourself to help bring you and your team back and hopefully win the ultimate prize?

A: Working out with my buddies, and like I said before just continuing on working on skills. My skating is something I work on a lot of the summer with my skating coach Boris Dorozhenko. He has been helping me for about six years now, and I can tell I've improved a lot in the skating aspect of the game.

Q: What can you say about your experience at the Minnesota State Tournament? 

A: Playing at the state tournament is something you always dream about as a kid, but when you step onto the ice at the Xcel and see all of the fans and your community there supporting you, it's something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Q: Are there any other players committed to North Dakota that you are looking forward to play?

A: Obviously my buddy Ethan Frisch, im excited to play with for another four years. But Hain (Grand Rapids), Donovan (Duluth East), Caulfield (Grand Forks Central), Costello (Grand Forks Red River), and Kleven (Fargo Davies) are guys that I know that I can't wait to play with in the future.

Q: What can you tell us about your teammate at Moorhead Ethan Frisch who himself is a North Dakota commit?

A: Ethan is an amazing guy, he has been such a great teammate and friend too me. His skill set and hockey IQ is insane. Playing wit him the last few years has truly been awesome.

Q: Are you a pass first or shoot first type player?

A: I'm a shoot first type of player, but always looking for when I should pass.

Q: You currently rock a bubble mask at Moorhead which isn't very common at UND, I don't believe anyone has worn a bubble at North Dakota since Evan Trupp, do you plan to wear yours?

A: I have worn a bubble my whole life so I don't think I'll change it.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals?

A: I always stick handle before my game for about 20-30 minutes.

Q: Powerade or Gatorade?

A: Powerade

Q: McDonald's or Burger Kings?

A: McDonald's

Q: Matt Cullen or Brian Lee

A: Matt Cullen

Q: Rock or Country music?

A: If I had to choose Rock, but I'm more of a Hip Hop/Rap kind of guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment