Saturday, March 17, 2018

Q&A with Wisconsin commit Daniel Lebedeff

 

Daniel Lebedeff

05-23-1999

Helsinki, Finland

Janesville Jets

Wisconsin commit


 I recently got to speak with current Janesville Jets netminder and Wisconsin commit Daniel Lebedeff. One who has grown quite fond of the state of Wisconsin, having moved to the state when he was 16 with the hopes of making a name for himself and honing his skills to make it to the next level. He spent his first season with the Madison Capitols U18 Team of the NAPHL and eventually moved up to the USHL team, growing so comfortable with the Madison area that it made the choice an easy one to commit to Wisconsin, which is also in the city of Madison.  He would spend another year with the Capitols before heading about 40 miles southwest to Janesville where he has made a name for himself in the NAHL. The Jets currently sits in 4th place in the league standings and have clinched a spot in the post season where he hopes to lead them to a run for the Robertson Cup.



Q: In what wats do you think the NAHL has best prepared you for the collegiate level?

A: It has prepared me to be ready for anything in the game. Also it has helped me to be more consistent.

Q: You moved to the state when you were 16, how was that transition for you?

A: I wasn't the greatest at the English language when I first came to the United State so it brought me some challenges especially in school otherwise the transition wasn't that hard.

Q: What were some of your favorite moments playing hockey back home in Finland?

A: My favorite moment has to be winning the National Championship in 2014 if I remember right. Also the playoffs in U16 was one of the best moments, we played a best of 5 but unfortunately we lost in the fifth game.

Q: Do you feel the style of play here is different than it was in Finland?

A: In my opinion there is a huge difference between the styles of play. In Finland the game is a little bit more tactical than here. We learn a lot of different systems in Finland and the games are played on the olympic sheet usually so the shots come on different situations.

Q: How do you feel moving to the US has helped benefit you?

A: The US has helped me a lot. My English has developed a lot since I came here and I have matured because I don't have my parents looking after me anymore.

Q: What are some things you think are better in Finland than the US, and what are some things you think are better in the US than Finland?

A: I think the goalie coaching has been better in Finland. We had our own goalie coach in my hometowns team. He came to practice everyday and we had a goalie session twice a week. In Madison we didn't really have a goalie coach so I had to work on the things by myself but this year I have been lucky that Janesville has a goalie coach. The people in the US are much more friendlier than in Finland. We Finnish people aren't the most social. Also the weather is much warmer than it is in Finland.

Q: You played for the Madison Capitols for 2 years and committed to Wisconsin which also happens to be in Madison, what do you like about the area so much?

A: I love Madison, it's a great town. There is always something going on and so many different things to do. It was an awesome city to play at. It is a total college town.

Q: How do you think Gary Shuchuk and the staff of the Jets have helped to improve you as a player?

A: The whole coaching staff has been great to me the whole year. Gary is a great coach and he has been fair to me the whole year. He has always pushed me forward. I think the coaches have been great all season long. Our goalie coach Larry Clemons is a great coach and me and my goalie partner are lucky to have a guy like him.

Q: What were some of the reasons you committed to Wisconsin?

A: One of the biggest reasons was the coaching staff. The coaches have some big experience from the NHL. They were very nice to me also when I visited the school. Another reason was the history the school has. It is a traditional school and has success in hockey. They play in one of the best conferences and play against top teams.

Q: Do you have a favorite Wisconsin alumni?

A: My favorite alumni has to be my coach Gary Shuchuk.

Q: Who is your favorite NHL team?

A: My favorite NHL team is Boston Bruins. When I was little my dad always rooted for Bruins and watched their games so I started to watch with him and started to support them.

Q: What player do you try to model your game after?

A: I try to be like Pekka Rinne. He is one of the best goalies right now. He is very stable in the net but he is aggressive in the right places and that way he makes incredible saves nigh after night.



Lebedeff is set to step foot on campus next fall and join the Badgers for the 2018-19 season. He hopes to help make some competition in net for a Wisconsin team who is looking to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2014, losing to North Dakota in the first matchup. Lebedeff currently carries a 15-7-3-1 record with a 2.32 goals against average and a .925 save percentage.

No comments:

Post a Comment