Thursday, March 1, 2018

Q&A with USHL leading scorer and point leader Anthony Del Gaizo






Anthony Del Gaizo

01-31-1998

Muskegon Lumberjacks

Massachusetts commit

Basking Ridge, New Jersey


You currently sit atop the USHL with 52 points, what has helped you to be so successful this season? I think the chemistry that I have with my line mates Matej Pekar (Omaha commit) and Mikail Hakkarainen has really helped me produce so efficiently this year. We really do know where we are at on the ice at all times and always make smart, effective plays. I would say this is for sure the first time I have had chemistry like that in this league.

You also lead the USHL with 32 goals, almost triple the amount you had last season.  How have you been able to be so more efficient with the puck? I tend to score a lot of dirty goals which is part of the reason why I have been so consistent this year because there are opportunities to score in those areas every game. I do work on my shot quite a bit in the offseason which has definitely not hurt my transition scoring, which is now a huge part of my game.

What has John Lafontaine and the coaching staff at Muskegon helped you improve most in your game? Coach has really embraced my aggressive style and molded it into a complete consistent game. There were a couple times this year and last year that I could have been sat for taking a "bad" penalty because of an unnecessarily aggressive play, but instead of punishing me, he trusted that I would learn and make up for it un my own way. He never took away from my style of play or made me discouraged about my game.

Muskegon currently sits in 4th place, tied for the final spot in the West with 6 games left on the season. As the team captain, what is the message in the locker room going forward? It is time for us to start playing playoff hockey and get more desperate to win games. Coach always talks about "peaking at the right time" to get ready for a playoff push and we are primed to do that with our top forwards healthy and our defense stabilized.

How fun has it been being able to play with your brother for so long and to be able to both be successful at a high level of hockey? Marc and me have a very special situation that I do not think we realize because to us its just another day and another year. Both our goals are to have success in college and to make it to the NHL, so, thinking about it now, it is fun to share this experience along the way.

In what ways do you think the USHL has best prepared you for your path to college hockey? I think the USHL has taught me a ton about competition. When I entered the league uncommitted, so every time I laced my skates up I was competing for a commitment. I think being uncommitted for awhile has made me a better player and person because I still have the hunger to beat guys out and put in the extra work to succeed. It also has taught me a lot about leadership, specifically when to push a teammates buttons or put an arm around him and show some love, because thee is a very distinct line.

What are you looking forward to most in attending Massachusetts? I am very excited to move onto the next stage of my life. College is going to be a tremendous experience in a bunch of different aspects.

What can UMass fans expect from you come next fall? UMass fans can expect me to be a tough, responsible player that takes as much pride in the d-zone as in the offensive zone. I love to score goals and make plays so hopefully I can make that happen next year.


Anthony, as well as his brother Marc, are both set to join the Minutemen next fall. Marc who is a defenseman for the Lumberjacks currently ranks 4th in the USHL among defenseman in points with 27. Both brothers look to help lead Muskegon on a run to the Clark Cup this year after a first round exit last season, losing in 4 games to the Dubuque Fighting Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment